27 Kasım 2012

[Post Cloud Atlas.]

[As I reflect more and more, it seems like more and more updates are on the way.]

First things first. This is not a critique of Cloud Atlas but a practice of memory for me as if I have to get these on my notes so that I won't fail that 40 point question which designates the destiny of the exam. One may ask though: what kind of an exam are you talking about? In a nutshell, it is an exam against time itself. You desperately try to pass it, but like water, time always prevails. As the food turn into dust, buildings get cracks, plants grow and life ages, and time -like water that waits and always gets in- slips through these cracks and let the memories fade. Away. Like the lost sock in the machine phenomena, we can never get to see where those memories go. Thus, I'd like to keep things line, here, just after 20 minutes as I finished watching it. 'Sleeping over it' seems impossible to me right now. I'm afraid letting go of my consciousness may result in slipping away of some good details that struck me.

ownership. just as the english patient once told K, I hate ownership. not in a connotation of 'I'm yours' or 'you're mine' loving kinda way but simply in its first meaning: to have something, to gather it for yourself and not letting the others have it. not having the possession of a pen let's say, but owning the idea of pencil. to me, it is the reason why people cannot realise that 'we're the countries, not the boundaries on maps' thinking about this movie, reflecting about it made me realize something very crucial about the technology. last week, I had a terrible nightmare. as I was going to bed, I had no idea that I'd be having such a nightmare, no. but if I had to have a nightmare, it would be that night where I practically lost my mind watching a horror series. however, the unexpected blow came from another series I got addicted on. ın my terrible nightmare, the elecricty went out. or at least we heard it would. what was terrifying was that we didn't care about the electricty, we were together as a family. it's just that we all waited in our balcony waiting for that inexplicable snow storm and then, everywhere would go all white. I remember, putting up 3 sets of socks and 5-6 sweatshirts coats and all. I couldn't warm myself up. and everytime that white eternity fell, we tried to change our place so that we could get warm I guess. all night long, in every change of place, I woke up. I jumped up. feeling helpless, knowing every other possible way but not being able to use them, benefit from them. god, it still takes my breath away. so much that I nee to pause to get some fresh air. so... this movie made me realize that when we own the power, the technology, the knowledge, we are inclined to forget about the past where we lived without them. we tend to forget that there are in fact some tribes which do not know what electricity is. but in the movie, our perspective was that tribe. we were that tribe. seeing all those devices and treating the strangers as goddesses. how small can a human be? how helpless and ignorant can we ever become? I'll never forget the gaze of the valley people to the ship. and more so, calling us, the wise ones. I hope we can leave a better future for the future.

that sentence, that on sentence got me. right at that instant where I still struggled with the movie and the characters and the expectations about the end of the movie, I knew that I was going to love it. an unfinished book saddens me like an unfinished romance. or a similar sentence I guess, I may remember it wrong, or better, I may have changed it into something that is in accordance with what my mind, soul or heart told me to do so. that half of a book, which perfectly finished the story in a place where everything is quite unfinished gave me such hope that it was going to be alright. even though, it wouldn't be.

sonmi. oh sonmi... you were so different, so indifferent but so caring. so defiant. I would never ever give out any details about your story. never. it was one of a kind story really. so classic. so standard. so different. all, at the same time. your posture made me cry. you reminded me of a friday night, when I cried my eyes out for a revolutionist boy, just before his story was coming to an end in gallows. as his last words in the letter he wrote to his family was read, my heart stopped. today, we talked about the infamous 21 december. I realized that I never really gave it much of thought to it. just as I started to think about what would happen, and even try to designate a place to meet with my sister, in case the telephones died, my insides burned. my brain overflooded. no, at the face of death, I can't imagine myself so strong. shaking my head right and left, I think it is best I immediately leave this paragraph and jump into the next. or I'll start talking about the 'ship' that scene will linger in my memories. I hope I'll forget but at the same time, I never want to.

to lighten up the air, let me get out some words about 'Mr. Smith' god, this man always did and always will give me the creeps. that hideous man, have you no soul? that fierce eyes and all. god, it was so creepy. creating the idea of devil for a movie like this is expected, but a devil which is probably green with envy, sneaky with that voice and resistant to gravity, that's a bit too much to handle. I tried to close my eyes but then again, I heard him which was enough. that nails. the hat. oh my, that cannibal tribe with the make up. speaking of the bad guys, I have to mention susan sarandon. about her characters, just like the other characters I intend not to mention, were good. the thing that got me that is worth mentioning was the blue eyes. just as she 'saw' the prophecy. it was one of a kind scene. I love supernatural series and movies (except when I don't hide under the beds during those). I'm a proud fan of Jossverse. Just out of curisity, I even watched all the seasons of charmed. opened up my mind about magic. read about it. wrote about it. but never in a million years it has occurred to me to change the colors of the eyes of the seer. wow. congrats.