26 Aralık 2012

[Cloud Atlas OST.]

I don't know which one makes me happier: seeing a director in the musical credits of a movie, or the musical supervisor credited also as a director. cloud atlas' soundtrack is dream like. though the movie is regarded as a chain of stories unfinished, or even inadequately-reflected-in stories, to me, it still stands  as a magical experience. this fact has been confirmed by the soundtrack itself.

after the movie, I searched the 'cloud atlas sextet' on youtube and what I got was excerpts from the movie trailer. however, as I managed to get my hands on the ost, I finally could witness the big picture. though some songs didn't give me the creeps I got at the movie, they generally reflect the feeling you experienced. especially the sloosha's hollow. it was so creepy, I had to change the song.

the first song that got me was the temple of sacrifice. soon as I read its name, I knew what it was. at least, where I pictured it would be. it's my bad that I didn't gave so much attention as to where our two characters were headed  -trying so hard to avoid spoilers here ehem- but again, I think the song was talking about that place. I could even say that I'm almost sure because of the title of the next song. it's a beautiful, emotional piece of music which showed me the souls in that temple.

it's time for 'all boundaries are conventions'. for this song, I have one simple comment. "if only Katherine could meet Sonmi". if only she could listen to this song and witness this movie. sure as hell that she would cry her eyes out, just like I do everytime I listen to her song in daytime. [Yes, daytime 'Katherine's letter causes tears in my system. Same song at night is a different story.] that circular melody which feels like wrapping all the stories is wonderful. moreover, you feel that it's still incomplete and one way or another, it will be completed. as the song comes to an end, you find yourself waiting - or shall I say expecting- for a complete, circular, all inclusive closing. and it comes. in the last piece.

here we are, in 'death is only a door' as I close my eyes, I can see that scene. I won't comment on it. but, with the strings in the song, I can here the doors closing. and a different world opening up. simply in awe. but one must note, it comes to an unsatisfactory end. if the next song wasn't cloud atlas finale, I wouldn't have appreciated it. to me, every song in an OST must have a closure of its own as it tells a story of its own.of course, I'm keeping 'all boundaries are conventions' outside of this generalization. because sometimes, when you have a circular story in your hand, you can complete your story in the time frame of the album. but this song, it should have had a definite closure. on a different note, I also appreciate it. because when a door opens, it's the beginning of a new story, thus creating a loophole of endless stories.

again, I would like to emphasize this: I love circular stories!

and finally, the 'Cloud Atlas Sextet for Orchestra'. everything comes to a perfect end with this song. not only all the stories are interlinked, the music and the themes that are composed for the characters are bounded to each other, too. also, listening to this song, I can relate to Luisa, when she found that record in a record store. brilliant, yet unknown. just like I feel everytime when I listen to the brilliant soundtrack of a movie that I lose my sleep over. though it is not anywhere near legendary james horner or gabriel yared or millions of composers I cannot include in this writing simply due to their number, this album still echoes the events in the movie in my mind. which is what is most important for me.

thank you, cloud atlas. you really made me imagine what's beyond. I can't wait to finish the book.